Monday, March 31, 2008

Javascript Libraries - jquery

I had almost never coded in Javascript before a couple of weeks. For my project we wanted to do some functionality on the client side and I needed to work on javascript. And I did not use much of direct javascript. I used a library called jquery. jquery has been around for more than two years now. There are other javascript libraries as well but I have exposure to none other right now.

  • What jquery claims to be different is the way it uses CSS or Xpath selectors to work with the dom (both html and xml). Comes out pretty short and neat. I really liked that part. made things easy for me in many ways.
  • It has support for ajax as well. I used that as well. Can work with html, xml and json output all of which can be manipulated in jquery/javascript pretty nicely.
  • It has support for some ui components like sliders, capability to create curve edges to tables etc. I did not use directly. Other guys in the project have used.
  • Also there are a bunch of plug-ins which are quite useful.

All in all it was a learning experience. And I did not think before that javascript coding could be this much fun… I still have only touched the tip of the ice-berg, so the opinion can change :)

Another great concept I got familiar with was closures. I have sort of got a hang of it. but not completely yet.

Mean to try GWT sometime as well.

No comments: